Highlight of the Weekend: Having three separate people – and gunny folks at that – ask me at three separate times where I bought this holster. Oh, and I got to shoot another .50 BMG rifle, which brings my Lifetime Total Rounds Fired Through a .50 Caliber Rifle to… two. Plus about 20 rounds through a Ma Deuce.
Lowlight of the Weekend: Having Doctor 3 (see here for a reminder) functionally throw up his hands and give up.
After having my whole right hand in a compression glove and my pinkie finger in a compression wrap for the past two months, he has concluded that the pulley is a "red herring", to use his terminology, and may not actually even be ruptured (the MRI report reads "There is palmar dislocation of the flexor tendon, the distance between the middle phalanx and flexor tendon is 7mm. There is disruption of the A2 pulley best seen on axial series 3 image 24 and sagittal series 4 image 5." and two other doctors disagree with him on that point). In any case, despite that month of compression and physical therapy, the swelling in my finger has not gone down, and he is unwilling to operate on it when it is swollen.
At this point, he guesses it might be a fungal infection of some type, courtesy of a rather nasty cut I received to the proximal interphalangeal joint – the one closest to the A2 pulley – about six months before my finger really started hurting. I braced my pinkie on the edge of a pull-top can lid, came away with about a dime-sized semi-circular cut, washed the crap out of it, bandaged it up, and was told by a PA that I did the right thing and there was nothing else they could do. X-rays have shown no infection, and if something showed up on the MRI, you would think they would notice.
They drew blood for the usual tests, but given that the finger is already swollen, the doctor does not figure it will not tell us anything we do not already know. The only way to prove it is a fungal infection is actually to slice the finger open and take internal biopsies from the top and bottom of the joint, and then wait six weeks for the cultures to come back, and even then the doctor considers that entire idea an improbable "long shot". Apparently a bacterial infection would have consumed that joint and moved on by now if it were that.
For now I have given up wrapping the finger – the doctor indicated it was pointless, and the mobility is about he same regardless; the finger swells without it, but the wrapping keeps it from flexing much anywise. And by "keeps it from flexing much", I mean "in neither case can I get the tip of my pinkie finger past the distal interphalangeal joint of my ring finger… on a good day". I cannot make a fist, I cannot properly grip a pistol, typing is still a bitch, and the PIP joint is bigger than any joint on my middle finger.
Oh, and the real kicker in all this? The doctor telling me, emphatically, that I can "live with it". His exact words were something along the lines of, "If it is not something we can mechanically fix, or some kind of disease we can treat, you can live with it." That is all good and well, except we literally do not know what is wrong any more, apparently.
And that is… well, that. Doctor 3 was the last driveable doctor who appeared to be any good and would bother conversing with me from a distance, and it is simply not feasible for us to fly out to another doctor for a diagnosis, fly back for a consult, and fly back again for the actual surgery. Yeah, I will stop whining now and crawl back in my hole.