This has to be one of the worst bastardizations I have ever seen – not that it was poorly executed, just that it is so very … wrong – but I find myself wanting it on some strange level… I doubt I could afford it, and I doubly doubt I would use it to its fullest extent, but it surely seems like an entertaining toy.
And speaking of "entertaining", or "toys", depending on your perspective, I have started idly truck-shopping; our remodeling of our current house demonstrated that a four-door sedan and a two-door coupe simply do not have the load capacity or trunk space to move around some of the things we really needed/wanted, and a recent trip to an outdoor range adequately demonstrated that two low-slung vehicles are ill-suited for anything not on pavement. The good news is that I do not want/need much, which should make the search easier… should.
So here is roughly what I am looking for, in no particular order:
– Enough ground clearance to take it off pavement without having to worry about breaking the frame. We are not going to go mudding, but being able to traverse a dirt track would be nice.
– Four-wheel drive would be nice, but not mandatory (four-wheel drive gets you stuck where two wheel drive would never let you go).
– Two rows of seats. Having one car without a functional back seat is enough.
– Pre-mid-1980s. This is for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I want something I can tinker around with myself, and maintain myself should I have/need to.
– Automatic transmission would be nice, but not mandatory.
– A/C and power steering both would be really nice, but not strictly mandatory.
– It must run as-is and must not be turning into a rust farm.
– Does not need to be a daily-driver, but does need to be highway-capable.
– As cheap as we can get it.
I have no particular brand preferences for used cars, so what makes/models should I start looking into? What specific features should I look out for or problems should I avoid? As you can tell, I have been toying around with the idea of an International Harvester Scout, but that is just a random idea.